Choose a Senior Real Estate Specialist to work with when it’s time to make a decision about Senior Housing
There is a lot to choose from! Whether you’re choosing senior housing for yourself, or for a loved one, all the choices might feel overwhelming!. So, the first step is to think about how much help you, or the person who is looking for you, needs every day. This will narrow the list of options. After choosing senior housing, and the right option(s), its time to compare the costs, location and amenities offered for each.
1. Aging In Place
What is aging in place? Simply put, aging in place means you’ll either live in your own home, or you’ll live with family. When choosing the right senior housing, this is the option most hope and wish for!
- Who it´s good for? If you (the elderly adult) is still relatively independent or can get the needed level of help easily for the daily needs, aging in place may be a great choice for you to retain independence.
- How does It work? Organisations or service providers like in-home caregivers, cleaning companies, Meals on Wheels or other services can help with activities of daily living (ADLs). Also, with simple home modifications, the home becomes safer, such as bathtub railings, a wheelchair ramp or an emergency call system.
- Costs? Cost is important when choosing senior housing, and aging in place may be the most cost effective senior housing option. It depends on how much support the person is asking for. But don´t forget the usual costs like rent, taxes, electricity, water, groceries and so on. Think about this when you start to compare.
2. Active Adult Communities/Housing
What is an Active Adult Community? Active adults housing refers to either an age-targeted or an age-restricted community designed for people 55 plus or similar.
- Who`s good for? These are ideal for those who have emptied the nest and are looking to downsize or reinvest the equity in their family home. These are not retirement communities in any traditional sense. Active adult housing communities are often designed for single-floor living in condominiums, attached villas or single-family homes. They are designed to make living in the home easier or just age-appropriate with features like shower stalls with seats, lever handles, wide doorways and so on. Home exteriors require no or only little maintenance. Often, landscaping, and other upkeep are already included in the monthly association fees.
- How does It work? The older adult lives independently in his or her house/condominium and can enjoy a variety of activities like exercising, tennis, golf, shuffleboard, card games, computer classes, social gatherings or excursions with other people of similar age. Active adult living, while a great senior housing option, is limited in the type of care options available to seniors and the focus of housing is on seniors who are, as implied by the name, very active.
- Costs? Depends on where and what kind of community the person chooses from and the amenities offered there.
- Communities? Aston Gardens at Pelican Marsh, Glenview at Pelican Bay, Naples Estates, Riviera Golf Estates, Sandelwood Village Naples, American House Bonita Springs, Diamond Oaks Village Bonita Springs, Valenica Bonita Springs, Tide Water by Del Webb Estero,
3. Independent Living
What is Independent Living? Independent Living for seniors simply means having a system for housing and limited care.
- Who It´s food for? In this kind of living, the residents usually do not require assistance with day-to-day activities, but may use services of care providers as required.
- How does It work? While seniors in independent living homes take care of the majority of their own needs, they may be offered meals, laundry services, linen delivery and planned activities. However, if one requires round-the-clock help with eating, dressing, and using the toilet, or requires regular medical assistance, other housing options such as assisted living or nursing homes may be a better option.
- Costs? Independent living communities generally have a monthly rate that could range from $1,500 to $6,000, and may make certain hospitality and care services available for an additional monthly fee.
- Communities? Naples: All Season Naples, Arbor Trace, Aston Gardens at Pelican Marsh, Bradford Square, Brookdale North Naples, Discovery Village at Naples, Keystone Place at Naples Preserve, Lely Palms, Marbella at Pelican Bay, Moorings Park, Sandelwood Village, Terracina Grand, The Arlington at Naples, The Carlisle Naples, The Glenview at Pelcan Bay, Vi at Bentley Village. Bonita Springs: American House Bonita Springs, Brookdale at Bonita Springs, Diamond Oaks Village Bonita Springs, The Terraces at Bonita Springs. Estero: American House Coconut Point.
4. Assisted Living/ Memory Care
What is Assisted Living / Memory Care? A system of housing with limited care or special care especially suited for Dementia and Alzheimer’s patients.
- Who It´s good for? If you’re choosing senior housing for a senior who can still live independently but needs some assistance with daily activities; they do not necessarily require care in a nursing home. Memory care communities providing specialized care for patients with memory issues.
- How does It work? Typical services include staff available 24 hours a day, meals, medication management, bathing, dressing, housekeeping and transportation. Also, most of the facilities offer a group dining area and common areas for social and recreational activities.
- Costs? Assisted living communities generally have a monthly rate that could range from $ 2,500 to $ 9,000 – depending on the community you choose and support.
- Communities? Naples: All Season Naples, Arbor Glen at Arbor Trace, Arden Courts, Aston Gardens at Pelican Marsh, Barrington Terrace of Naples, Bayshore Memory Care, Beach House Naples Assisted Living and Memory Care, Brookdale Naples, Brookdale North Naples, Discovery Village at Naples, HarborChase, HarborChase Memory Care, Juniper Village at Naples, Keystone Place at Naples Preserve, Lely Palms Retirement, Memory Care of Naples, Terracina Grand, The Arlington Naples, The Carlisles Naples, Tuscany Villa of Naples Assisted Living, Villa at Terracina Grand, Watercrest Naples. Bonita Springs: American House, Brookdale at Bonita Springs, Renaissacne at the Terraces. Estero: American House at Coconut Point, Autumn Leaves of Estero.
5. Nursing Home/ Skilled Nursing Facility
What is a Nursing Home / Skilled Nursing Facility? A nursing home or skilled nursing facility home offers 24 hours a day of supervised care temporally or long-term; this is a good option for older adults choosing senior housing.
- Who It`s good for? Nursing homes are the most commonly known senior housing option. Older adults with severe or debilitating physical or mental illnesses who are unable to care for themselves who need 24-hour supervised care with meals, activities, health management and support.
- How does It work? A licensed physician supervises each resident’s care and a nurse or other medical professional is almost always on premises. Some have physical and occupational therapists on staff. Some facilities also provide Alzheimer’s care, with special facilities and layouts for those who suffer from dementia.
- Costs? High costs vary according to the level of daily help reuired and the type of living space.
- Communities? Naples, Chateau at Moorings Park, HarborChase of Naples, Heritage Healthcare and Rehab Center, Lakeside Pavilion, MenoCare Health Service, Premier Place at The Glenview, Solaris Senior Living North Naples, The Arlington of Naples,
6. Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)
What are Continuing Care Retirement Communities? A continuing care retirement community (CCRC), also sometimes referred to as life care retirement community, provides several levels of care to assist seniors as they age and gives loved ones piece of mind when choosing senior housing for those who depend on them.
- Who It`s good for? Older adults who want to live in one location and don´t want to move to another place, if needed. It is also good for spouses who want to stay close to one another even if one requires a higher level of care.
- How does It work? A typical CCRC will offer independent living, assisted living and skilled nursing care together in one location. So, residents are able to transfer from one type of care to another as their healthcare needs and desires change.
- Costs? The costs associated with continuing care can be very high. Most communities have several payment options that offer varying levels of service and price.
- Communities? Naples: Arbor Place, Moorings Park, The Arlington at Naples, The Glenview at Pelican Bay, Vi at Bentley Villages. Bonita Springs: The Terraces at Bonita Springs.
7. Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) – The Best Choice when Choosing Senior Housing
One of the best choices you can make when choosing senior housing, is to contact a specialist in senior living in Naples Florida. A certified Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) is specially trained to help guide you through this arduous process. If you’re ready to take the next steps in choosing senior housing and would like to learn more, contact us. Thank you, and good luck.
IT’S TIME TO RIGHT SIZE!
The purpose of this guide is to provide you with a more strategic approach to making this important lifestyle-related decision!
Determine Your Needs:
- Lower maintenance costs
- An opportunity to declutter
- Cash-in-home equity
- … and more!
Request a Guide to Downsize